Lijit Ad Wijit

Sunday, August 8, 2010

What's Got Me Thinking...

This summer, as I've been reading (which, by the way, I ended up reading hardly anything from my original reading list but that's another blog) and listening to talk radio, I found two quotes worth sharing.

  • Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. (Dr. Laure Schlessinger)

Maybe you've listened to her daily help radio show (but let's not open that can of worms right now; again...another blog, perhaps). The day I heard her reference this idea, it smacked me in the face. For someone who LOVES sweets (I cannot overemphasize my sweet tooth), I finally heard a way of thinking that in seconds could dismantle every justification for each bite of brownie and icecream that I routinely put in my mouth. Because words have always held a lot of power in my life, this quote provides great motivation to make health(ier) choices. Maybe I'll start tomorrow...;)

  • Natural childbirth also brings some surprising long-term benefits to couples, preparing them for the lifelong task of parenting. Guiding a child to maturity takes patience, perseverance, bravery, wisdom, acceptance of loss of control, humor, respect for your partner, and a lot of faith. And these exact qualities are what sustain and guide you through childbirth. So childbirth as nature intended it is a gift, teaching many of the skills parents will need through the challenges of the next twenty or thirty years. (Stacey Marie Kerr, Homebirth in the Hospital)

When we first learned I was pregnant, I didn't give childbirth much thought. Probably denial on my part. (I don't really have to birth a 7.5 lb baby, right?). If anyone asked if I was planning on using drugs (epidural, narcotics, etc), I shrugged and said, "Maybe, we'll see how it goes." I knew a couple of people who had birthed with no drugs and I'd dabbled in a little bit of research, but I was mostly turned off by the idea because a) it seemed crazy and b) I've always sensed a little bit of "we're better than you" attitude from that camp of people who have gone drug-free for their births.

Ben was actually the first of the two of us to advocate natural childbirth, and all I could think was, well, yeah, that's easy for him to say because he won't be the one in pain! But, after watching The Business of Being Born, I decided to at least have an open mind about the possibility. So I checked out three books from the library (the one cited previously, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and Gentle Birth Choices). The reading was incredibly helpful, and the quote I give above, helped solidify for me my decision to have a natural childbirth (if at all possible). It's almost as if I needed a philosophical underpinning for making the decision; I needed an idea to hold on to that will help me through what many describe as the most difficult physical pain of their lives. As I read those words, I realized that natural childbirth wasn't a good choice simply because other people said so or even because I'd be a "better" woman for making that choice (as if those are legitimate reasons anyway). Natural childbirth made sense to my mind, and because most women describe labor and delivery as a mental game, I'd found my needed token.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allison,
    Your process,thinking about birth and facing your choices, is admirable. I absolutely love what you say at the end of this blog post. It makes my heart warm to know that perhaps a few words I shared in my book helped someone see the truth of their own, very personal, decisions. You chose a quote that is very dear to my heart - a truth that almost no one even considers when thinking about birth. Thanks for the posting, and I wish you the MOST wonderful birth...healthy, intense, live-affirming, and all you hope it to be. Best wishes, Stacey Kerr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to this post! You absolutely made my night.

    ReplyDelete